Why I collect your personal data and what I do with it.
I take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide the services you have requested of me.
Why do I need to collect your personal data?
When you supply your personal details to me they are stored and processed for 3 reasons:
- I need to collect appropriate personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and my agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can decide not to provide the information however if you were to do that I may not be able to provide treatment.
- I have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information as without it I could not do my job effectively and safely.
- It is important that I can contact you in order to organise your appointments with me or to communicate with you about matters related to your health care. This constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
I have a legal obligation to retain your records for 7 years after your most recent appointment, or age 25 if this is longer. After this period your records will be erased by shredding.
Your records are stored:
- On paper in locked filing cabinets. My office is always locked and alarmed out of working hours.
- On my office computer in the case of correspondence, referral letters and invoices. My computer is password-protected, backed up regularly and the office is locked out of working hours.
- I will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without obtaining your consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- Myself, so that I can provide you with treatment.
- Very occasionally reception staff at The Natural Health Clinic in Gatley may need your contact details to liaise about an appointment or payment.
You have the right to see any personal data of yours I hold and you can also ask me to correct any factual errors.
I want you to be absolutely confident that I am treating your personal data responsibly and that I am doing everything I can to make sure that it is stored safely.
If you feel that I am mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to myself or in more serious cases to the British Acupuncture Council. If you are not satisfied with the response then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.